The Trivandrum Experience

Due to pouring requests from fans( just flattering myself!) about my Trivandrum trip, here is a detailed account.

My reason to go to Trivandrum was basically to attend my sister’s, what you call “Seemantham”, a ceremony performed for the safe delivery of her kid. This particular ritual dates back to the Vedic times, when it started off as a ceremony to please the Gods in order to bestow the couple with a male child.

Day 1:

My journey started off at the Bangalore Railway Station at Majestic, bargaining with the coolies. Having settled with an intermediate price( Na Tera Na Mera policy!), we boarded the Kanyakumari Express. We had ordered for dinner from Comesum, and waited excitedly for the train to start, only to hog! The wheels rolled and off we were!

Being the youngest in the family, the upper berths in the train have always been easily forced on me. Well, I snuggled up there with Fountain Head to keep me company. I went to sleep only when people started giving me boorish looks for having the lights on.

Day 2:

I woke up the next day morning to find we had reached Palghat, our home town. It was hot outside, but our A/C coach was adept at keeping us oblivious of the fact. We spent time with the kids of a family that occupied the adjacent seat. Silly pranks, hide ‘n seek, innocent questions were on the spin. We laughed.

It was around 3.15 pm when the train puffed its first into the Trivandrum station. The humidity, as though readily waiting for us, wedged onto us. We got a taxi and set out towards my Jiju’s home.

Walking in the streets of Trivandrum was a strange experience. Everyone looks at you with such a weird unyielding expression, you suddenly become conscious and check yourself through and through if anything’s wrong, only to find nothing. You tell yourself just don’t bother, and walk away, as they continue to stare behind you.

Day 3:

We woke up the next day, a little after midnight, at 2 am. The pooja was to begin at sharp 4. I got myself ready, and was forced to be adorned in “more gold”. “After all, you’re next!” was the constant jibe.

The streets were fast asleep as we walked our way towards the Mantapa. It was a small hall adjoining a Krishna temple. It had images of the Panduranga avatar of Lord Krishna, along with his very many devoted disciples. I stood intensely observing the Krishna idol. There was something about it that held me, it was huge, of a deep navy blue, the color of the evening sky, it was so precise, clearly defined, that it seemed to come alive. With that, came a sudden realization, a moment of truth. I could feel life when I lived it. I shuddered and looked away.

The pooja began, and smoke and mantras soon filled the air. Of course, not a soul knew what they were chanting, or why they were doing whatever they were doing. It had to be done, it was being done. I mostly kept myself busy with my sis, for the numerous times she was asked to change saris.

It was almost 11.30 am when everything finally got over. All of us were totally drained out. We lunched, packed our stuff and left the hall. The next 3 hours were spent in deep slumber, of which I remember nothing.

We woke up in the evening, still dazed. We had planned for a Kovalam trip that evening, but looking at people’s dead beat faces, we decided against it. At 8 pm, we left for the temple.

Day 4:

It was once again April 14, Vishu+! I was led by my dad, with my eyes closed, to the pooja room, I opened my eyes to see the Vishukani++ the first thing that morning. All done, it was time for the most sought after Vishu-kai-neetam+++!

Had a warm bath early that morning, and by 5.30 am we were off to the temple once again. The dawn was beautiful, the sky was clear, the sun just peeping out, the smell of the glistening oil lamps, my feet caressing the thousand year old stone slabs underneath. The temple was crowded and people pushed, only to get a single glimpse of the Lord. Pushing and complaining their way through, people said their prayers aloud and pleaded the Lord to keep them safe and secure.

Spent some time with the family, picked up all the goodies available only in this part of the world, and we were ready to return. The train steamed out of the station at 1 pm, and we were once again in the familiar comforts of a 3 tier A/C coach. I watched the sun setting behind tall coconut trees, the sky splashed with orange, as I read through Paulo Coelho’s Warrior of Light. I gazed at the Periyar river and dreamed of a long boat, with just me and him….. Night fell.


+Vishu : The Tamil New Year
++Vishukani: This is the first thing you are supposed to see on Vishu. The pooja room is decorated with fruits and vegetables of all colors, indicating that you have a bright and colorful year ahead. Rice, pulses and money are kept along, so that you have enough of these in the coming year. You get up in the morning and are led with your eyes closed to the pooja room to see the “kani”.
+++Vishu-kai-neetam: On Vishu, the elders give money to the younger ones in the family and friend circle. It’s beneficial to be the youngest!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The duality of my existence

God

Happy Diwali!