The Burning Desire

As I was sitting on the side of my porch
Feeling bored, the sun scorched
I saw this brown little bird with a leaf held in her beak
She flew into the interiors of the jasmine climber, I wondered what she went to seek.

I heard sweet little flutters and then she flew away
And as the scene from my mind I cast away
I saw her coming back, from a distance
With a new leaf this time, she hopped from fence to fence.

I knew for once that it was a nest that she had planned to built
A sense of joy within me, I suddenly felt
For it was my jasmine climber she had chosen to live on
Where she would spend her short but sweet life, from dusk to dawn.

I watched the bird repeat her chores, again and again
And so I got up to leave, I prided myself of being perfectly sane
When suddenly a thought struck me
I got bored so easily, but why didn’t she?

I wondered how far she had to go for her supply
And the number of times she went to and fro, without a single sigh
I don’t think she ever listened to her mood
Her life was an endless search, for both shelter and food.

She worked all day for her coming kids and for herself
And when they did come, she would teach them to be like herself
They say, it’s a burning desire within you that sees you through
And today I realize, in case of this little bird it’s so beautifully true.

Comments

Anonymous said…
lovely poem!

Popular posts from this blog

The duality of my existence

God

Happy Diwali!