Grown Up

I don’t know what gripped me, but I crawled on my knees, across the expanse of my empty living room. It felt difficult, my knees already felt weak, and a rising pain shot through my leg. “What’s wrong with you?” I said to myself. “You could do this even as a kid!”

Fortunately or otherwise, I had grown up. And little things like crawling and so many other things, weren’t practical anymore. I laughed at myself. “Grown up! Yeah, right!”

Grown up meant having to make plans, and even worse, make them happen. Grown up meant to keep track of every cent you spent, and still be dumbfounded with the mystery of the missing five hundred bucks when the spreadsheets didn’t tally at the end of every month. Grown up meant being condemned for making the silliest of mistakes. Grown up meant having hurried lunches and dinners and breakfasts. Grown up meant forgetting birthdays, even your own, even worse, not believing in the celebration anymore. Grown up meant saying things you hardly meant, and hearing things you hardly could believe. Grown up meant doing things you hardly want to, and becoming someone you never wanted to. Grown up meant being a part of the vicious circle of life.

And unfortunately, I have grown up.

Comments

Anonymous said…
aagar yeh soch kae jeevan vyatit karein ki aap jeevan kae har shaan par , (us shaan kae liyae) ek navzaat sheeshu ho tho shayad, aapko jeevan nutan laagae... is baat par bhi vichar ki jeeyaega...
roopa said…
nice post!

how much we yearned to grow up when we were little and now, we'd give anything to get those days back-the days when all troubles vanished magically the moment a friend calls you out to play :)
Chitra Iyer said…
How very true...unfortunately!

Popular posts from this blog

The duality of my existence

God

Happy Diwali!