Yesterday's Class

Yes, I am learning music. Again. Finally.

Some interesting conversations that happened in yesterday’s class.

I asked, “How can anyone identify the Sur involved in a piece of music, when the concept of Sur is totally relative?”

He told me it is one of the most difficult problems in music. People consider the Tanpura as some sort of standard, but it isn’t completely accurate. The solution is being researched, but he said he believed it was one of those non-computable problems. Reminded me of the good great Halting Problem.

We were trying to sing different surs in random order. Ofcourse, we faltered. He said, “Understand the problem statement. And then strategize.” We saw we could easily break down the random order into pieces we had already learnt and that made it so much easier to sing. Association and Disassociation.

I have always believed, Science, Religion, Spirituality, Art, Music, all these weren’t created to individually exist. They all support each other in some way or the other.

Comments

Sudhi said…
You think Science and Spirituality can co-exist Laks?
Lux said…
Yup, that is what I think, right here, right now! :-)
Sudhi said…
Good one Laks
Chitra Iyer said…
Good going! But a li'l too technical! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

God

The duality of my existence

Happy Diwali!