Handwriting

Gandhiji says in his autobiography, that he regards bad handwriting as a mark of imperfect education.

Most of us have our stories of how our handwritings came to be. Painful accounts of unrelenting teachers looking down at our notebooks as we filled cursive writing books with what looked like flies squashed in flight.

Mine is similar too. I had the worst handwriting in the family.

And then, one fine day, my mom did the unthinkable, she compared my handwriting to a friend’s and stated aloud how good hers was. That was the last straw.

Luckily for me I had realized, good handwriting comes from good observation. I would stare at other classmates’ notebooks to see how they dotted their i’s and curved their g’s. And sure enough, I had started writing beautifully.

A lot of you whose moms didn’t do the unthinkable, perhaps never got a similar chance. Probably you think handwriting doesn’t even matter. In this age of emails, messengers and computer fonts, who writes with pen and paper anyways.

And yet, when out of the blue you notice something beautifully hand written, you stop to admire and say “You have such a pretty handwriting!”

Comments

Chitra Iyer said…
Yet, mine is better than yours!

Popular posts from this blog

The duality of my existence

God

Happy Diwali!