True Lies

From the time I was a child, it has somehow been embedded in me, that Truth is the Way. Now, whatever that means. I recall questioning my mom, asking if it was really so wrong to lie and all. My mom would always wear this wise look on her face and tell me that it was ok to lie if it was to do some good. And then she would narrate her favorite example.

"If you see a man running after another, with a sword in his hand, and thirst for blood in his heart, he comes over and asks you which direction the guy went, it is ok to mislead him. This way you save a life, which is noble."

Hmm, that was enough to convince me then. Now, I wonder.

Perhaps I would have saved a life alright. But there could have been more to it, right?

"The next day, the newspapers talk about a murderer who jumped the jail, and how a brave officer followed him with a sword in hand. Due to the misguiding public, the murderer fleed."

Like the albatross, who made the breeze to blow, or perhaps, brought the mist and snow?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The duality of my existence

God

Happy Diwali!