House Warming!

Morning. The stage’s set, we leave our current home, to the home to be. The first thing to do is always, putting the “Kolam” (rangoli) on the “Vaashal”(entrance). And as always, I am chosen for the task. Rice powder can look so beautiful at your door step. The awaited “Vadyaar” (priest) finally appears. Grahapravesha as its called, starts with a literal Graha pravesha(entering the house). The Vadyaar converted his brass pot into a nice kalasham, with white thread adorned in a lovely design, I still wonder how he does that, the pot is filled with water, a little mango leaves in it, and a coconut for the topping! Daddy carries the portrait of the well known trinity of Lakshmi, Ganesha and Saraswati, and Mommy has the kalasham in her hand. I am given the Aarti. As we stand outside our entrance to the home, I am asked to have the aarti done, 3 times. And then we enter, of course, with our best foot forward, the right leg!

Once we are in, the pooja begins. The Vadyaar lays out all his stuff on a plate, Beetle leaves, “Paaku”, which look more like Kelloge’s Chocos(yummy!), bananas, camphor, incense sticks etc etc. Then the mantras begin. “Om Boorbhawa Swaha, Tat Savi Dhurvareniyum, Bhargo Devasya Dheemahi, Dhiyo Yona Prajotayath!” I wondered if the Vadyaar knew what it meant. I dare not ask.

The mantras went on, my daddy obeying as was asked. Disobeying is never an option. Namaskarams followed. Then came the “Paalu kaachul”. Whenever we move in to a new house, having the milk boil, is considered auspicious. Why I say “considered” is because I have no reason to tell you, how the boiling of milk could actually do good to you. Of course, we drink the milk after that, so perhaps it gives you the required vitamins??? Anyways, milk boiled and gulped, we have the “shudham” ritual, when the Vadyaar goes all over the house, sprinkling water out of the kalasham. Of course, he sprinkles it over us too, I wish I could say “I have to go to office after this!!!”, but then….. Now, again, don’t ask me why he does this, if you ask someone, may be they’ll tell you it will rid us of all the sins and make us “shudh”, but well, if you are someone who would believe that, then, all I can say to you is, life’s gonna be so much simpler for you!

The last of it all is, Camphor! Bits of camphor are taken, one is lit, and soon all turn into a brilliant flame, and the strong scent is amazing. Another aarti, and we are asked to take in the flame. Ok, now camphor is good for your eyes alright!

The Vadyaar is asking us to pray hard, and do a final namaskara. My dad is praying for financial security, I know, Mommy is praying for safety, and me, well, I am just praying to wake up…..

Comments

Anonymous said…
Mast hai yeh waala.. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

God

The duality of my existence

Happy Diwali!